Winter Weather Safety Tips
Follow these home heating tips from the Bismarck Fire Department to help prevent winter fires and to stay safe this season:
1. Have fuel-burning heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
2. Keep anything that can catch fire at least 3 feet from heating equipment.
3.Turn space heaters off when leaving a room or going to bed.
4. Never use an oven to heat your home.
5. Make sure vents for the furnace, water heater, stove, and fireplace are kept clear of snow and debris.
Install Smoke Alarms on every level of the home, in every bedroom, and outside each sleeping area.
6. Install Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms on every level of the home, and test them monthly.
For more information contact the Bismarck Fire Department at (701) 355-1400 or visit their website at www.bismarcknd.gov/fire.
1.Stay indoors when possible, and watch for signs of frostbite. Loss of feeling and white or pale appearance in extremities is an indicator. If any of these occur, seek medical help immediately.
2.Make sure your heat vents are clear of clothes and furniture.
3.Keep a faucets connected to pipes that run through unheated/unprotected spaces at a slow trickle.
4.Avoid side/back roads. Stay on main roads. Travel on snow routes.
5.Clear snow from the top of your car.
6.Keep at least half a tank of gas in your car at all times.
7.Keep a blanket in your vehicle/a cold-weather kit.
8.Keep your phone charged when traveling/driving in snowy conditions.